Sunday, October 21, 2007

#8 RSS and Newsreader

The passive nature of RSS and newsreaders appeals to me. They provide personalised information and entertainment for little time and effort. I'd never trawl a list of websites for the updates these services automatically provide.

I'm using RSS and newsreaders to keep me informed about certain library-related information such as educational opportunities, and also for entertainment via 'Joke of the Day' and 'Quote of the Day'.

Libraries can utilise this technology to enable staff and users to personalise the information they receive and to keep up to date with news and events effortlessly. I Googled 'libraries and RSS' and found examples of some great ideas for libraries and feeds such as options for library users to receive feeds of new acquisitions, journal articles and account information ie current loan information.

No comments: